I started with basic geometry in maya to get the general proportions out of the way. Starting like this allowed me to get a lot of the UVing out of the way early and get base textures ready.
I moved on to sculpting the body to get my normal maps for the game res mesh.
And here's the normal maps, basic materials, and textures combined.
The last piece I worked on was her face. Since it wasn't crucial to the mesh needed for the game I had the luxury of working this out last. Trying to match the Gigantic style was a lot harder than I anticipated, but oddly enough the aesthetics aligned with my own so it wasn't far outside my comfort zone.
From this point on I will be tweaking the game res to match the high res a little better and reducing the poly count to something a little more manageable, working out how Gigantic accomplished their texture maps, and furthering my sculpt to be portfolio ready.
OH and HAIR!
I'd really like to figure out some hair for her.